Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Time Again!

Although we are in a country where around 85% of the population is Buddhist or Shinto, we are celebrating Christmas with our first real tree!  I am conflicted about my excitement over this, as the logical part of my brain tells me it is beyond extravagant to cut down a perfectly good tree in Oregon, freeze-dry it, and ship it 2000 miles around the world to Misawa, Japan, so that I can hang energy-sucking strings of white lights all over it and enjoy its smell.  However, my American-brain tells me I should push the long-term effects of said behavior out of my mind and cross that impending-environmental-distaster bridge when I get there.  Hmm...well I have given myself a lot to think about. 

ANYWHO, Merry Christmas, everyone!



Marco was very helpful, as always!



I guess Marco is offended by the idea that we might want any gifts other than him, or perhaps we were giving the tree too much attention.  Either way he has decided to make this one of his favorite hang out spots.






1 comment:

  1. YAY! A real tree! Way to go! I haven't had one in 3 years - such a bummer! In fact, our last real tree was in Columbus, I believe. I need a husband who is home for Christmas one of these years:) Anyways, your tree looks beautiful! Merry Christmas to y'all!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete